Today’s smoothie is cherry-chocolatey-oh-so-good! The rich color of the cherries combined with the deep color from the cocoa powder disguises any greens that are added.
Tip: for a really quick smoothie preparation place all prepped smoothie ingredients (minus liquid and avocado) in a freezer safe container. Take out of the freezer a few minutes before you are planning to make it, pop everything in the blender with the liquid and avocado and blend away!
Tip 2: I also will pre-blend my greens with a little bit of water and then freeze in individual portions in a cupcake pan. When frozen, remove and place the “greens pucks” in freezer safe bag and use when needed.
Have this Chocolate Cherry Smoothie for breakfast and you’ll feel as if you are sipping dessert. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do! *sip*
Here’s the printable…
- Prep fruit in advance and freeze for a quick smoothie
- Depending on preference: coconut milk, almond milk, cow milk, or even water may be used as the liquid
- If you blend the greens with the liquid first and then add other ingredients, it will aid in getting the smoothie smoother.
- I also will pre-blend my greens with a little bit of water and then freeze in individual portions in a cupcake pan. Remove and place the “greens pucks” in freezer safe bag to use as needed.
- Makes in between a 16 and 20 ounce smoothie
1 cup pitted sweet cherries (can be frozen) (if all ingredients are frozen and you need to thin out the smoothie a bit, another 1/2 cup liquid can be added)
1/2 banana, frozen
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
A couple drops of almond extract, optional
1 cup coconut milk (or other milk)
1-2 handfuls greens (spinach, kale, romaine, a mix, etc.)
1/4 large avocado
1 Tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
1 T flaxseed meal, optional
- Add greens and liquid to blender. Blend til smooth.
- Add all other ingredients and blend til smooth.
- If using all frozen fruits/veggies, another 1/2 cup of liquid can be added to thin out smoothie consistency.
- Transfer to a glass and enjoy.
- Refrigerate until ready to use.
*Shake well before each use.
If you enjoyed this, you may also like…